Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Next Step....

  Welcome back to my story.  Some time has passed now since my little one received her new sewing machine.  Our quilting studio is underway and I have my electrician friend from church coming in a couple days to install additional electrical and lighting...I need lighting!  One thing that has changed in the last nine years is my eyesight, and not for the better.

  My daughter and I have almost completed our first collaberative quilt project, a Valentine table runner.  She has been facinated by the quilting process and is ready to start on something new.  Slow down kid, I still have to finish stitching the binding on this one!  But, we do have a lovely new four-patch Valentine runner to enjoy.  It is not perfect, but it is beautiful because of what it means to her and me.

  I have also realized this time around that I have changed as a quilter and a person.   When I was younger and under the spell of the wonderful fabrics, tools and patterns, I had only a consumer mentality.  I wanted to learn and buy...and buy I did!  I have been going through all the fabric yardage and kits I had in my stash and  can I say "OMG!"  How much did I spend?!  Don't get me wrong, I will still buy new fabrics, but now we have ebay and other online sources that make it a bit more affordable and make options endless.  I also paid a visit this past weekend to my favorite local quilt store and had a look around.  I joined a "Quilt Divas" club that meets twice per quarter to introduce new or review old quilting methods.  It was great to be back learning new, old stuff!

  As I have sorted through my stash, it has also occurred to me that my tastes have changed so I listed several brand new, unused fabric kits and books on ebay to sell.  I have had a great response there so my mind went one step further...how about my own online store?  So, that's what I did.

  This week, I opened my online quilting supply store on Etsy called  Quilt Store Next Door. My store can be found at www.etsy.com/shop/quiltstorenextdoor. I have several items stocked and ready to ship and I'm so excited!  Wouldn't it be great to make money doing what I enjoy?  I most likely won't get rich, but at the very minimum I have now financed my own fabric habit!

  So what have I learned so far on the journey?  First, my daughter is a natural at the sewing machine, something she did not inherit from me.  Secondly, my eyes are bad and I need an eye exam.  But most importantly, I have learned that whatever you do, be smart.  Don't just be content to be a consumer, do something with what you have and what you know; make it matter.  Do a new thing.  "Do not remember the former things, nor consider the things of old.  Behold, I will do a new thing."







1 comment:

  1. Great re-start. Lemme know when the zebra-leopard-tiger print one is ready. ;-)

    ReplyDelete