Sunday, February 3, 2013

Dancing with Cinderella

It's Sunday night and all is quiet as I sit here and write another installment in this boring, weird, interesting, who-cares-about-the-adventures-of-a-quilter blog. (Wanted to cover all the bases depending on who is actually reading this) The photo above is the most currently finished quilt for one of my daughter's dolls, Kit Kittredge. My daughter got her first American Girl doll from Santa on Christmas 2008. Kit Kittredge is a historical character who is from the time of the Great Depression. My husband built a set of bunk beds for Kit (we assumed there would be more dolls to follow) and I made "mattresses" and "pillows" for the beds. I got this great idea that I would make a 1930's style quilt for the doll. I researched fabric colors and prints and quilt patterns and set to making the quilt. This is an 18 inch quilt. I got it pieced and quilted and then construction came to a halt. Life was busy as it always is, and the doll quilt got put away with the menagerie of other unfinished items I had. Since my daughter and I have begun quilting together, I felt inspired to finish poor little Kit Kittredge's quilt. There it is in all it's 18 inch glory. I don't know if it even remotely resembles anything 1930's looking, but it is cute and now Kit is warm. Life is good and we've already begun sewing strip sets and cutting blocks to make my daughter's "Chrissa" doll a new quilt. This weekend, we made a trip about two hours north of where we live to Amish country. In about a month, my daughter and I will be taking a Mom and Me quilt class at our local quilt store to make a 9 Patch quilt. I could teach her to make a 9 Patch quilt at home, but I think taking a class and seeing other kids her age who are also interested in quilting and sewing will be a neat experience for her. We went up there to one of the Amish quilt shops where they sell quilts and fabric. We saw some beautiful quilts and lots of fabric. My daughter chose all the fabrics herself (with minimal guidance to keep her on track) and I was really pleased to see the choices she finally decided on. My Etsy shop, Quilt Store Next Door, is humming along. We've still only had a couple sales but I am getting a lot of daily traffic in the way of shop and listing views, so I'm encouraged. I am now also on Twitter and you can follow me at www.twitter.com/QuiltStoreNxtDr and I am also on Pinterest at www.pinterest/QuiltStoreNxtDr. Before I finish up for the night in my studio, I have one more item of business to get finished. I mentioned last time that I was looking into quilting instruction. I contacted my city parks and recreation, and since they don't currently have anyone who teaches quilting, I told them I would like to do it. I have to complete a Class Proposal that needs to be submitted by Friday to get my class in the Summer parks and rec class catalog. I am super excited about this, it's sort of a way to give back the way someone first gave to me, and maybe I'll inspire someone like my first instructor inspired me. Lastly, I have decided I don't want to pigeon-hole my shop sales to online only--there are just too many online shops to compete with, so in April, I'm heading off to peddle my wares at a craft and antique show. I figure the more I get my shop name out there, the better. But most importantly, tonight as I sat at my sewing machine sewing strip sets for the next doll quilt, my little girl sat sewing on her machine getting her fabric prepared for our upcoming quilt class and making mini "quilts" and "huggy quilts" for some of her other little toys. She was so proud of these miniature creations she had made, and she excitedly ran upstairs to show each one to my husband. As we sewed, Steven Curtis Chapman's song "Cinderella" came on the radio and I just stopped and watched her...this little girl who will only be little for a blink of an eye is such a blessing to me. I thank God that I get to dance this dance with her and I will relish every minute I am given.

No comments:

Post a Comment