Saturday, July 6, 2013

Let Freedom Ring!

Happy Fourth of July! I'm writing today's post from the comfort of the home of our very good friends, Bill and Becki and their three almost-grown sons who live in Virginia. This sweet family used to go to our church where Bill served for many years as the Associate Minister and Worship Leader. My husband and I got to know them well singing with them in our church's worship team. About six years ago, Bill took a position at his current church in Virginia where he now serves as the Senior Minister. Since they moved, a Virginia vacation has become a yearly tradition for our family. Each year, we visit different peripheral locations for fun while we're in the area. This year was no different--we visited Washington and Lee University, historic Lexington, Va, Virginia Horse Center, historic Staunton and Charlottesville. I have recently decided that my new mission is to "quilt shop hop"--visit quilt shops in every location we visit to get ideas for my own quilt shop. I want to experience the elements of each quilt shop that invite you to return. The quilt shop pictured above is located in Staunton, VA. This was an adorable shop in an old railroad station that invited you in immediately with the sweet smells of handmade bath soaps. We went on to Charlottesville, VA where we visited the quilt shop pictured below. 
This shop, located in a strip mall, lacked the charm of the shop in Staunton, but was also a Bernina dealer (yes, I am in the market for a new machine) and had some very knowledgeable and helpful staff. After a nice chat, we moved on to our friend's house. Last month during a visit to Niagara Falls, I visited the next shop in a town called Niagara on the Lake. 
I have also used this trip as an opportunity to "clear my creative head," watch some online quilt classes and tutorials and get some new ideas for my upcoming product lines. It's so easy in my line of work to try to spread oneself too thin and make too many things in an effort to appeal to EVERYONE.  I believe it is necessary every once in awhile to "retreat," regroup and refocus. I'm probably not the only "artsy-fartsy" type of person whose head just sometimes swirls with ideas so it's definitely a good thing to get grounded. 

Things otherwise have been busy. The last beginner's class is finishing up.  Next Saturday I'll be teaching the first "make your own iPad" class followed by the "frame it up" throw pillow class in two weeks.  I've offered to my returning students a "class pass" to enable them to take unlimited classes through November. My online shop has picked up considerably this month and work is in progress on my home-based shop.  I'll be calling a window professional on Monday. 
"Frame it Up" 18 inch Throw Pillow



So, for now, I plug along, but after this trip, I do it with a bit more clarity and defined direction. I've made a list of 28 items that will be featured in my first catalog as I embark on my future home parties. I'm free of some of the confusion I was experiencing recently; but I feel fireworks inside my heart and mind when I think of the independence and freedom I hope to someday gain from this venture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment